I’m just pausing in my regular postings to mention a short story that I wrote with a StarWars twist. The theme is Halloween, and the competition is for the Ethereal Tales, fantasy fiction zine.
Please take a few moments to vote for this story on the Ethereal Tales Web site (see details below.)
Here is a teaser:
As if in reply the bed shook again, harder this time. Nathaniel grabbed his blanket and held it tight—the image of Luke Skywalker wrinkled under his firm grip. If only he could pull the lightsaber out of the blanket and use it to defend himself. That would be a sight to see. No one would dare threaten him then.
A sharp pain pierced the back of his neck. His heart stopped. Something was behind him. Perhaps it was a creature from another world, a fuzzy furball, similar to the ones from movies such as Critters and Gremlins. It would chew off his fingers and his mother would find his bloody corpse in the morning. Did he dare turn around and look? Another sharp pain jabbed into his neck and then vanished. Nathaniel’s hand instinctively grasped at the wound. At this rate he was going to die, and slowly, so what difference did it make?
He turned his head and gasped. The end of a tiny crossbow was pointed strait at him, and behind it, the face of a small wookie.
“Wrrrrrrooooow,” it growled, as if taken directly from a Star Wars soundtrack.
This wasn’t his imagination anymore. It was for real. Of all the times he pretended the action figure of Chewbacca was alive, never once did he imagine it would actually happen.
You will need to sign up for an account to vote, but it’s pretty painless and your information will not be shared. Below are the full step-by-step instructions:
- Go here to register for an account: http://www.etherealtales.co.uk/forum/ucp.php?mode=register .
- When the account is created, an email will be sent to the address you submitted.
- Check your email account for an email from “email@example.com”; it may be in your SPAM/Junk folder.
- In the email, click the link under “your account is currently inactive . . .”
- The etherealtales.co.uk web site will open and confirm your account.
- Next, either click “login” or go to this link: http://www.etherealtales.co.uk/forum/ucp.php?mode=login .
- Enter the username and password you created.
- Now, open this link: http://www.etherealtales.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=107 .
- Click on the check box for “An Unexpected Invitation by James D. Maxon” and click the “Submit” button.
Thank you for your support!